VS.
About two months ago (Kaleb was five months) my breast milk started to dry up (some might consider this an over share!). I was devastated to say the least. I nursed Jett his first entire year of life. I planned on doing it for Kaleb. Not that formula is bad or anything; I just enjoy nursing my babies for the health benefits and mostly for the closeness we feel. There is something about waking up in the middle of the night when they are warm in their jammies and cuddling them while they eat; all the while knowing you are the only one who could offer them that. I have tried to hang on to nursing him for the past two months (maybe it is the graveyard shift ruining it, who knows!) but it has turned into something stressful and frustrating. I never know how much he is getting and he usually doesn't get full. He knows now that he doesnt get what he wants so he puts up a fight when I try and nurse him. I have struggled with letting go, but I think it's for the best that we become strictly formula fed. I have been nursing what I can and then supplementing with formula, but it is too much for us. It is becoming a struggle. Like I said, I never formula fed Jett so this formula thing is new to me. I have no idea what is the best. I talked to his pediatrician and she recommended Parents Choice (she said it is cheaper price wise, but equal to the others in nutrients). So, that is what we have been supplementing him on. But, now that it will be his sole source of food, I want to know what one others would choose. And, how long does one big can of formula last a 7 month old. I feel like I am swimming in uncharted waters here people. HELP! I cant explain how sad I feel, but I have to move forward and commit to the formula thing, so any suggestions and advice would be appreciated. (Oh, I forgot to mention that ever since we supplemented he has been extremely constipated so any specific formula changes or tricks would be nice. I was thinking about changing to one for 'gasy' babies!) On a positive note, both Jett and Chad like being able to feed Kaleb. It has been kind of nice and freeing for me too. If I had my choice I would still breastfeed, but since I don't; I can admit it is nice to have my boobs back (ok, really I mean I will be able to go on a diet and take headache medicine...)!
7 comments:
I remember you telling me you were able to nurse Jett for his entire first year. I think that's amazing. I hope I can nurse my little one just as long. Maybe it's weird but I'm excited for nursing :)
hey girl! It's Selma, I was looking at Kristin's blog and saw yours and came here. Formula is something I have used on all of my kids and it'll be ok. Carter nursed the longest, but Hudson did the same thing as Kaleb at 7-9 months and didn't grow, so I had to start him on formula. Carter had the constipation problems really bad, even with being nursed, so the tricks I learned: A little (like 1/2 teaspoon) dark karo syrup in their bottle works, but my favorite was pear juice. I would just do 2 ounces a day for Carter from 2 months on and it worked well and I didn't feel like I was sugaring him up to the max. It was more healthy feeling, I would buy the baby kind that is 100% juice! Good luck!!
I think it is amazing that you have been able/wanted to nurse so long. I remember the feeling of wanting to but just not having it work out.. We tried a few formulas before we settled on a set one. At 7 months I could buy 4 cans of formula and it will last two weeks... Depending on how much he eats.. I don't know if you give Kaleb rice cereal but switching to the mulit grain cereal helped "regulate" him and eventually stopped the constipation.. GOOD LUCK!! You're awesome!
I don't know much about the formula, but Griff had the constipation troubles at about the same age. I just started making his mornig oatmeal with a tablespoon of prune juice. He loves the taste (yuck) and it totally did the trick. Good luck. Who would have thought that this is what we would spend our time worrying about?
Wish I could give you some great advice on the 'back up' but you've tried everything I would have done.I feel bad that he is constipated. Sorry you couldnt' nurse as long as you wanted to. I remember feeling guilty giving up with Rindee, supplementing and nursing plus taking care of a 10 month old wore on me. I cried because I nursed and then I cried because I stopped. So many things that we feel guilty over. Love yer face
When Eli was born I never produced enough milk to feed him. The poor baby was starving because I kept listening to everyone, and they said just stick with it it will come in. Needless to say, he was a formula baby from month 1. We used the Parents Choice formula because we couldn't afford the other brands. Eli did great on it until he was put on baby food. He gained wait just like he should have. Sorry, I don't remember how much he went through. Hope this helps!
I know this post is probably a little old but I'm just getting to it so bear with me. I just want to say it totally made me cry because I'm going through this dilemma right now and I think I have less control over it than even you did. And it's SO amazing you've come this far. I nursed Kayson for 10 months..and when you see the post I'm going to put up soon you'll see that I may only make it 2 1/2 months with the girls. I think the part you have to focus on...and I've had to have a million others force this into my brain..is that I need to be thankful for the length of time we had. Because some don't even get that. But it's tough. I know. I'm totally with you. When Kayson switched to formula he had to have Similac Advance because he was soo gassy and unhappy and colicy. I don't even know if they still have that but it helped us. And I'm not sure how much formula one baby goes through...if I told you what we went through it would just throw you off. We have a different number of babies plus they are drinking a different amount than Kaleb and most likely drinking a different number of times a day. But good luck with everything! It's going to be ok...you've done amazing!!
Post a Comment