Monday, November 7, 2011

A cow says MOO

The other day I was driving down the road. Jett was complaining that I wouldn't let him take the iPad with him in the car (remember when we thought it was so cool that people could take phones with them, and now they want to take computers too?). Kaleb was whining. Not crying, but whining. LOUDLY. I turned on my road feeling relieved we were almost home. As luck (and I can now say FATE) would have it, there was a back-up because of the power company doing something or  the other. So, I sat with Jett complaining and Kaleb whining. I was having a stressful day. Just the usual. Family, bills, work and kids. In that moment, I felt defeated. Shamefully, I  thought "Why me? Surely this doesnt happen to other people. Why is my life so insane and stressful. I cant wait for something different to happen to make my life easier." Honestly, I thought that. Stupid. But, I did.

As I sat fighting my tears listening to my boys go crazy, I glanced out the window and saw this cow standing in a grass filled pasture. She (I say she because only a woman would be this stubborn) was sticking her tongue out, stretching for a leaf on a tree that was on the other side of the fence. Seriously, her tongue was stretched to the max with he head rooting around trying to reach this little leaf. I kind of scoffed and said out loud, "keep stretching honey, it's not gonna happen." Then, it hit me.

I AM THE STUBBORN COW

She was standing in the middle of grass and yet she wanted a leaf that she couldn't get right then. In a couple of weeks or even days the leaf will fall and be on her level to reach. Im doing the same thing. I have what I need right now. I have a handsome, funny, smart and hardworking husband who loves me (despite the fact I act like a stubborn cow half the time). I have TWO beautiful boys who love me and make me smile more than frown. I have a roof over my head. I have a job. I have a car to get me to and fro. I have health insurance. I have an extended family who keep me on my toes and laughing. I am able to take my children to do fun things. I'm not rich, but I have enough. But, I keep reaching for things that aren't mine for the having just yet. I just need to be a little more patient and take in what I have for now. I need to stop rushing things. In time, all those things I think will make my life easier/better will be mine and I will have new things to long for (isn't that how it always goes?) So, from now on, I'M GOING TO EAT THE DARN GRASS!!!! 

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I am the same way Cristel! I think that is just how life goes at time! Its sad but very true! Thank you for sharing this!
-Natalie :)

The Jones said...

You comparing yourself to a stubborn cow made me laugh so hard! But such a good analogy! I think we are all guilty of this at times, so don't be too hard on yourself! :) You are fabulous in all of your roles, especially as wife and mother...I can tell in your writing. Enjoy the grass!

Jordan said...

I love the cute comparison. It's hard being a grown up and focus on what we already have. I do the same thing all too frequently.